Hamdan Ballal, one of the Palestinian co-directors of the Oscar-winning documentary No Other Land, has been released after being detained and beaten by Israeli authorities. The incident followed an attack by Israeli settlers outside his home in the West Bank. The news of his release came from Yuval Abraham, Ballal’s Israeli co-director, who stated that Ballal had been “handcuffed all night and beaten in a military base.”
Hamdan Ballal is free and is about to go home to his family
— Yuval Abraham יובל אברהם (@yuval_abraham) March 25, 2025
The ordeal began when settlers reportedly assaulted Ballal, causing head and stomach injuries. While receiving medical treatment in an ambulance, Israeli soldiers invaded the vehicle and took him into custody. His whereabouts were unknown for over 24 hours, sparking international alarm.
The group of armed KKK-like masked settlers that lynched No Other Land director Hamdan Ballal (still missing), caught here on camera. pic.twitter.com/kFGFxSEanY
— Yuval Abraham יובל אברהם (@yuval_abraham) March 24, 2025
Filmmaking Community Demands Answers
Hamdan Ballal’s detention prompted immediate concern from artists and activists around the world. A petition demanding his release quickly gained traction, collecting more than 3,700 signatures from high-profile filmmakers including Alex Gibney, Liz Garbus, Ezra Edelman, Christine Vachon, and Maite Alberdi. Actor Mark Ruffalo took to social media urging “every filmmaker and Academy member” to protest together.
Mark Ruffalo's comment on Hamdan Ballal getting attacked and abducted. pic.twitter.com/ZtZAWWV3P0
— Mohaned (@mohaned_mmfilm) March 25, 2025
Documentary festival CPH:DOX, currently underway in Copenhagen, also released a strong statement condemning the attack and detention. The festival said it was “deeply horrified and shocked” and emphasized solidarity with Ballal and his fellow directors. Channel 4, which is currently streaming No Other Land in the UK, also voiced concern, describing Ballal as “a remarkably brave filmmaker.”
The International Documentary Association added its voice, demanding his “immediate release” and an explanation for his detention.
A Story of Resistance and Recognition
Ballal co-directed No Other Land with Basel Adra, Rachel Szor, and Yuval Abraham. The film documents the struggle of Palestinian residents in the Masafer Yatta region of the West Bank, where Israeli authorities have worked to displace entire communities. Shot between 2019 and 2023, the film is an urgent testimony of resistance against land erasure.
The documentary has received major accolades, winning 68 film prizes including the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature in March, a BAFTA Award, and a European Film Award. It premiered at the 2023 Berlinale, where it won both the Audience Award and the Berlinale Documentary Award. In his acceptance speech, Abraham called out Israel’s treatment of Palestinians as a system of apartheid and demanded a ceasefire in Gaza, sparking strong reactions.
Embed from Getty ImagesOngoing Attacks and Censorship Attempts
Despite the Oscar win, tensions around the film continue. Since the ceremony, Israeli settler violence in the West Bank has reportedly increased. Meanwhile, attempts to censor No Other Land have emerged in the U.S. Miami Beach Mayor Steven Meiner proposed canceling the lease of O Cinema, an indie theater that screened the documentary. He claimed the film lacked a “balanced view.” However, backlash forced him to withdraw the proposal.
More than 600 individuals, including Oscar winners, signed an open letter defending the theater, calling the move an attack on artistic freedom and a violation of First Amendment rights.
Ballal’s Release Highlights Ongoing Risk
While Hamdan Ballal’s release offers some relief, his ordeal is a stark reminder of the ongoing danger Palestinians face—even those honored on the world’s biggest stages. As Yuval Abraham said, if an Oscar-winning filmmaker is not safe, what hope is there for ordinary Palestinians?
Ballal’s experience is not an isolated event. It reflects a wider campaign of violence and silencing aimed at Palestinians across all walks of life. Palestinian health officials report over 50,000 people have been killed in Gaza in the last 18 months, with 40 more deaths in recent Israeli airstrikes on Khan Younis and Rafah. But the real toll may be far higher.
In a July 2024 article, the world-renowned medical journal The Lancet estimated that around 186,000 Palestinians—roughly 8% of Gaza’s population—may have been killed. This genocide continues with no end in sight.
Ballal’s story adds to a growing call for accountability and justice. The global support for No Other Land sends a message that people are paying attention—and that Palestinian lives, stories, and voices matter.
Discover more from Feminegra
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
