When Netflix confirmed the renewal of Prince Harry and Meghan Sussex’s production deal, it should have been straightforward industry news. The couple’s company, Archewell Productions, secured continued collaboration with one of the world’s largest streaming platforms, joining the ranks of prominent creators like Barack and Michelle Obama and Tyler Perry. Yet headlines from the weeks prior told an entirely different story. Major outlets had already reported the deal was “dead,” setting a tone that proved difficult to shake, even after facts emerged.
July Headlines Predict the End, While August Brings a Different Reality
In July, leading UK and US publications declared that Harry and Meghan’s reported $100 million deal would not be renewed. The Sun, The Daily Mail, Forbes, People, The Independent, and Harper’s Bazaar and many more, all published stories suggesting Netflix had walked away. Many reports echoed a single unnamed source first cited by The Sun, claiming the couple’s time with the streamer was over. Words like “flop,” “shambolic,” and “another blow” filled headlines, shaping public perception before Netflix had made any announcement.
However, on August 11, Netflix announced a renewed agreement, including a holiday special and new documentary. The same outlets that had predicted the couple’s departure now acknowledged the continuation but avoided describing it as a win. Instead, stories emphasized a supposed “downgrade” or “worse terms.” This framing sought to maintain the earlier narrative rather than correct it. While the details confirmed the deal’s survival, language choices told readers to see it as diminished success.
Related Stories
How Political Lean Shapes Coverage
Left-leaning media framed Prince Harry and Meghan Sussex’s renewed Netflix partnership as a smart, progressive move, highlighting Archewell’s continued influence and its ability to create socially impactful content with global reach. Coverage often emphasized Meghan’s growing stature, interestingly echoing sentiments from GB News guest Jennie Bond, a former BBC Royal Correspondent, who acknowledged that Meghan had “won” in her career trajectory despite earlier predictions of failure.
'We have to eat humble pie.'
— GB News (@GBNEWS) August 11, 2025
Jennie Bond says Meghan Markle has ‘won’ after securing new Netflix projects despite reports her career was ‘dead in the water’, with Prince Harry now playing 'a bit part' while Meghan is 'the angel on top of the tree'. pic.twitter.com/IZP3hWY4Fp
Right-leaning outlets, by contrast, focused on claims of a reduced financial scale and critical reviews of projects such as With Love, Meghan, framing the arrangement as a step down and a sign of waning star power. Netflix did not disclose financial terms, and media assertions of a smaller deal value relied on anonymous, unverified sources.
Centrist reporting acknowledged the smaller figures without overt judgment, instead focusing on the fact that the partnership remains intact. Across the spectrum, the deal was interpreted through the lens of shifting industry norms, where Netflix’s tighter slate is as much about strategy as it is about the value placed on Harry and Meghan’s future projects.
First Look Deal Context And The Role of the Anti-Sussex Narrative
The renewed deal is a first-look agreement, a common Hollywood arrangement where a studio gets priority on new projects while the creator retains rights. Similar deals for high-profile figures, including the Obamas, Tyler Perry, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, have been widely celebrated in the press. For Harry and Meghan, however, the framing shifted from industry achievement to perceived demotion. This difference in tone illustrates how selective celebration can reflect pre-existing narratives rather than the facts of the deal itself.
The coverage of Harry and Meghan’s Netflix renewal followed a familiar UK media pattern, turning wins into perceived failures. Few outlets corrected earlier false reports, leaving misinformation to stand. Harry has spoken about critics building false expectations for their downfall, only to see them dashed. The renewal coverage demonstrated this in real time.
Prince Harry: “The people I feel the most sorry about are the trolls, their hopes are just built and built and built, and it’s like, yes, yes, yes, yes yes. And then it doesn’t happen” pic.twitter.com/zicmDYORUk
— Sayid 🃏 (@SayidMet) August 11, 2025
In reality, the deal is a multi-year extension with one of the world’s top streaming platforms. Since 2020, Archewell Productions has released Polo, With Love, Meghan, Heart of Invictus, Harry & Meghan, and Live to Lead, plus Meghan’s As ever brand partnership.
Their track record is undeniable. Harry & Meghan debuted in December 2022 with 23.4M views in four days, becoming Netflix’s most viewed documentary launch ever and ranking in the English Top 10 TV list in 85 countries. With Love, Meghan entered Netflix’s Global Top 10, reached the Top 10 in 24 countries, and delivered 5.3M views in early 2025, making it Netflix’s most-watched culinary show since release.
From July’s premature obituaries to August’s reluctant acknowledgments, the bias was clear; headlines spoke louder than the truth.
Final Thoughts
While the press overlooks the fact that working royals are doing fewer engagements and taking extended holidays on luxury megayachts funded by Middle Eastern leaders, all while supported by taxpayer money, it subjects the independently funded royals to relentless scrutiny, as if their livelihoods depended on it.
The establishment is stuck in a Catch-22. They can keep smearing Harry and Meghan, generating free publicity that ultimately boosts the couple’s charities and commercial ventures, even as their own credibility erodes through false reporting. Or they can drop the smear campaign, but then they lose control of the narrative and risk letting the wider public form its own opinions. That is a prospect some in the media cannot tolerate, so they choose to keep the attacks going.
Discover more from Feminegra
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.







Looks to me like the only working royals are Harry and Meghan. Not sure what the rest do ..anyone know ?🤭
Just the envy and jealousy of the media working. They can not stand that H&M are winning despite their daily smear attacks. The good thing is, just as you said, the more they attack them the bigger they become because people see what the media is doing and rally around them to protect them.
The continued campaign by the royal proxies in the media to contaminate the Sussex “brand” as a means of ultimately destroying them on behalf of the British Monarchy is EXTREMELY TIRESOME. The hubris in this campaign isn’t just “white privilege”, it’s “white violence”.